Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oh No! It's Too Early for Snow!

My hopes for a bumper crop of tomatoes this year have been crushed. The weather prediction for last weekend was for unseasonably cold weather and I came home from work on Friday evening ready to wrestle Audrey III into the garage and to cover the plant with a water sheet to protect the fruit from the freezing temperatures. Sometime during the day, however, Audrey had fallen/been knocked over and a lot of the heavily laden arms had broken off.

(This is all that's left of poor Audrey III . . . . )

So, my kid and I plucked all of the tomatoes off the shattered plant (which were all still quite green and hard) and brought them into the house.

I now have 10 large brown paper bags filled with green tomatoes sitting on my kitchen table. I'm hoping to ripen them up a bit before making a massive batch of Green Tomato Salsa on Friday night. I guess all of my friends and family will be getting a jar of salsa, along with their Western Border Collie Rescue Calendar for Christmas.

Green Tomato Salsa is actually quite tasty and my spouse is anxiously awaiting the first taste, so I guess it will be okay, but I was really looking forward to a few more tomato sandwiches and pico de gallo.

We woke up Sunday morning to about an inch of snow, which the dogs enjoyed. My mother-in-law called to tell us that they got a foot and a half at their place (about 30 miles or so from us), so I guess we got off easy. I'm not ready for snow, so I hope we don't get any more until at least Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Taxi Driver said...

We got a touch of snow too, and we've had snow on the mountains for a while now. Maybe it's time to start matching gloves and unfurling scarves.

-ML